Building vs Remodeling: Which Is Best?
You know your home isn’t right for you as it is, but should you pack everything up and move to a different location or simply remodel your current home to make it fit your lifestyle and preferences more effectively? Deciding between building vs remodeling is a choice that’s not always easy to make. There are pros and cons to both scenarios, so it all boils down to what works out best for you.
What To Know About Building vs Remodeling
Some people decide that moving to a new location is not the most preferable option and they’d rather stay where they are. Others may determine that their current home is too outdated and they don’t want to spend their time trying to update it when they can instead move into a new home. Here are a few things you should know about either solution.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Building a New Home
The idea of building a brand-new home is an appealing one for many people. Here are some of the benefits associated with building a home:
- You can custom-design your home to your specifications.
- There are no legal processes or costs associated with transferring the legal rights of your house to someone else.
- Everything is still new and under warranty.
- Modern building materials tend to be more environmentally friendly and sustainable than older building materials.
These are just a few of the top reasons many homeowners decide on building vs remodeling a home. However, there are still some potential drawbacks associated with home building, including:
- High prices for new homes
- Difficulty finding land to build a new home in an area you like
- Additional costs, such as landscaping costs
These drawbacks may be enough to convince some homeowners to rethink building vs remodeling.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Remodeling a Home
The home renovation market size is already over $530 billion and is expected to increase by over $80 billion by the year 2025. There are many reasons to remodel your home instead of building a new one:
- You can avoid the hassle of moving all of your stuff into a new home
- Home remodeling can be a more affordable way to create the home of your dreams.
- Remodeling can increase available living space.
- Remodeling your home can increase its resale value should you choose to sell in the future.
Many people don’t want to uproot their lives to move to a new house when they can transform their current home into one that better suits their needs. However, there are also drawbacks to remodeling a home:
- Living in a house while remodeling can be cumbersome and disruptive.
- If you need a bank loan, you might have a hard time getting approved if you’ve only been in your current house a short while.
- Unpleasant surprises such as toxins in your building can cause complications and raise the price of your remodel.
Contact Kasavan Construction When Building vs Remodeling Your Home
If you need help deciding between building vs remodeling, reach out to Kasavan Construction. We would love to give you a consultation and quote for either option.